Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh What a Night: Late Agosto en Dos Mil Nine

If things happen in sets of 3, then I have one more thing coming before...
The third thing happened while I was typing that-no lie. Let me explain from the beginning.
Today began as just another day. A fantastic day, but ordinary nonetheless. I woke up at 5:36 a.m. and met Kristen and Amy to jog by 6 a.m. We had a great run together. I returned home, prepared for work, and only arrived a few minutes late. I spent the day proctoring CELDT testing, knocked off a few things from my personal work to-do list, and called it a day. I made plans with Mary, so I came home with an agenda to clean. I washed dishes; I started a load of laundry; I picked up the clutter in my room. Mary called, she'd be over by 6 pm. I planned to commence cleaning the bathroom. I walked into the living room for a reason I can no longer recall. (Number 1) Something on the living room floor caught my eye. It. Is. A. Cockroach. Immediately, I'm distressed. Anxious, if you will. Talk about opportunity to put talk into action (see previous blog or 2). I returned to my room to put on a pair of sneakers (I was barefoot when I made this discovery) and grabbed a hiking shoe to smash it. My voice raises. Oh my God! How did you get in here? I walked forward to smash it. I walked backward in trepidation. Meanwhile, I'm asking God why is there a cockroach in my living room? A HUGE one at that. It wasn't moving. I threw my shoe (Who throws a shoe, honestly?) and MISS. La cucaracha no se movio. Relieved, I began praising God that He placed a dead cockroach in my house. If that thing moved, I would most likely have ran out of my house. Instead, I called John, a friend from graduate school. He used to be a neighbor and now we're neighbors again. He hadn't been over, but I had visited his apartment. Voicemail. I began rambling and tried to remain calm. Before I finished rambling, he returned my call. I sat and watched the cockroach while I waited. He arrived, picked up the dead monstrosity, and flushed it down my toilet. I handed him an ice cold Newcastle, and we started chatting. I was very thankful for the opportunity to see him and have him over. Even more thankful that he came over and disposed of the 'roach for me.
Living on my own right now is kind of a trial run as a homeowner without having the full responsibility of owning a home. So, I either need to become best friends with pest control or have a man on speed dial. Of course there's always option C: move back to NY, as I joshed in a voicemail to my bestest friend while I waited for John. "If this keeps up, I may move back to NY. Just kidding, but maybe..."
Mary arrived, we chatted, I cooked dinner; it was wonderful to have my friends over. Mary left and shortly after John did as well.
I opened the fridge to add more Newcastle and the light remained off. I figured I had a bum light bulb and resolved to replace it at some point. I could live without a fridge light for a little while, no problem. I went over to my computer to check my e-mail with intentions of blogging about tonight afterward. I'm disconnected from the internet and my laptop was running off its battery. I had left my computer plugged into the wall and I had internet. Bizarre. (Number 2) My microwave was also not working and I had left it plugged into the wall. Half of my house did not have electricity. After a brief Where's Waldo of circuit breakers, I flipped the switch off. I pushed it back down and it bounced upward. Perplexed, I tried again. And again. And again. I've exhausted my knowledge of circuit breakers. Not wanting to bug John again, I called a different John. No answer. I didn't bother with a voicemail. I called the original John. He googled some information and instructed me to unplug everything on the circuit breaker. It didn't work. Next, he advised calling my landlord or asking the neighboring landlord's son. I went next door, dragged my neighbor over, told him how the switch wouldn't stay down as it stayed down. That always happens to me. Something won't work when it's just me, but as soon as I seek help BAM! it works. So, I thanked him for watching me turn it back on.
I still needed to finish my laundry, so I restart the dryer. (Number 3) I power up my computer, and while typing the initial blog sentence the dryer shut off as well as the outlet for my laptop. With some time, the circuit breaker cooperated with me. I also discovered that my refrigerator is connected to a separate circuit breaker that I had shut off,
so that's what that switch does...
As I write this blog, I believe everything is receiving juice. Most things are turned off, but the essentials are in fact operating.
I thank God for providing help from neighbors. I've been putting off the outreach, even after hearing Stephen preach about loving your neighbors and getting to know their names. Not to worry, God found ways for me to connect with neighbors anyway. I'd like to think I'd initiate something neighborly before the Christmas holiday, but it's doubtful. Although, I really don't want to find another cockroach, living or dead. I'm thankful for the help God provided to me. Considering the events of the night, everything worked out smoothly. I reached John twice and my neighbor was home and willing to come help.
If you're thinking of getting to know your neighbors, I recommend doing it before God gives you a reason out of necessity. Can I follow my own advice? I have my doubts, but Jesus can help. I still have a hard time believing all that happened tonight, but the paranoia of seeing another cockroach reminds that it's real.

No comments:

Post a Comment