Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What if God were one of us?

Recently, I've been reading the Bible. I did not own one until earlier this year. I received a children's Bible for 1st Communion, but I had no desire to read it. I joined a Curious Discussion Forum and bought a Bible for $5. The group was assigned to read Mark's gospel. I read Mark, but also felt it was more appropriate to start at the beginning. That did not work; there's far too many names to skim over. The gospels may be repetitive, but at least they're not lists. (No offense, God, but my brain goes foggy with all the names).
Something I've noticed in the gospels is how Jesus appears to people without them immediately realizing it. For example, "Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus" (John 21:4). Of all people, you'd think the disciples would notice Jesus. I'm intrigued as to why Jesus temporarily disguises his identity. Then I began to think about family or friends or even complete strangers who say just the right thing or offer a hug exactly when I need it the most. Is it Jesus hugging me? Did he take the guise of another person, so he could bring me comfort? Is he the man on the street corner holding a sign for money? Is he the stressed out teacher or exhausted doctor? Is he within every person on this earth? Yes, we're all 'image-bearers' of God, but this would take it a step or 2 further. It's difficult to craft an argument from steam of consciousness, but I am reminded of Matthew 25:40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" So is Jesus figuratively everyone on earth? Whether He is or is not, we should probably treat everyone as if He were. Would it be easier to serve others if we truly believed they were our Lord? Of course, but can I convince myself everyone embodies Jesus? Not in the heat of the moment. It's always easier when people are playing nicely. This must be where prayer and Jesus come into play. Dressing up as Christ, as C.S. Lewis [side note: Adam, I'm giggling as I write his name] describes in Mere Christianity. Jesus, please give me the strength and patience to serve others as you would serve them. Give me words of wisdom and comfort. Help me remember to praise you as I am truly blessed exponentially. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment